Redland City Council has recognised nine young Redlands Coast residents for their outstanding contributions to the community at an awards ceremony at the Redland Performing Arts Centre.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said the Young Legends Awards acknowledged the many young people who were volunteering and undertaking community service on Redlands Coast.
“There are so many dedicated and truly inspiring young people who are quietly volunteering their time, energy and talents to do amazing things within our community organisations, sporting clubs and schools,” Cr Williams said.
“Their contributions are often overlooked. They are our unsung legends of Redlands Coast and they are worth celebrating.”
Cr Williams said the eight award categories included four new categories added this year to reflect the breadth of areas in which young people are making a contribution.
“These categories recognise that our young people are volunteering in local community or not-for-profit organisations, caring for relatives, and mentoring others through sport or the creative arts,” she said.
The winners of this year’s Redlands Coast Young Legends Awards are:
- Junior Legend of the Year (aged 8-12 years) – Zara Price, for fundraising for animal welfare and implementing environmental measures
- Young Legend of the Year (aged 13-24 years) – Emma Clacy, who volunteers as a Physical Culture (dance sport) teacher
- Young Carer – Georgia Freemantle, Hana Freemantle and Daniel Lalor, who all care for family members
- Young Community Spirit – Josephine Beqiri, for volunteer work with Point Lookout Surf Club and Redlands Touch Football
- Young Creative – Brennan Beattie, who volunteers at The Drama Hub
- Young Eco Champion – Layne Utz, who volunteers with Litter Legends
- Young Innovator – Cienna McLean, for leadership in science at school
- Young Sports Leader – Emma Clacy, who volunteers as a Physical Culture (dance sport) teacher
The overall winner for the Young Legend of the Year award category was selected by the judging panel from this year’s finalists.
For more information on the award winners, visit Council’s website.