Redlands Coast will celebrate its seniors for the entire month of October with a citywide series of community events and activities.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said Council had been a strong supporter of the annual Seniors Week over the years and decided to support the extension of it to Seniors Month in 2021 through the Redlands Coast Seniors Month Grants Program.
“A dozen local not-for-profit groups received grants under the Council program to hold events during October under this year’s Seniors Month theme of ‘social connections’,” Cr Williams said.
“The month kicks off tomorrow on United Nations International Day of Older Persons and ends on National Grandparents Day, 31 October.
“There will be numerous opportunities for community participation and connection both on the mainland and the islands, with fun games and sporting activities, expos, displays and awareness projects.
“So many wonderful seniors, from wonderfully diverse backgrounds, call Redlands Coast home. Seniors Month is a fantastic opportunity for them to develop more social connections as our community comes together to support and celebrate their importance.
“Our city’s dedication to this is reflected in Council’s Redlands Coast Age-friendly Action Plan 2021-2026.”
Activities organised by Council’s Redlands Coast Seniors Month Grants recipients include:
- Showcasing Seniors (hobbies and crafts): Bay Islands Community Services, Saturday October 2, 8am -2pm, Russell Island.
- Walking Basketball for Seniors: RedCity Roar Basketball Association, Tuesdays, 5, 12 and 19 October, 9am to noon, Capalaba PCYC.
- Seniors Walk: Redland District Committee on the Ageing Inc, Sunday 10 October, from 7am, through Redlands Coast parklands.
- Dementia Friendly Communities Education and Awareness project: Redlands Coast Dementia Community Alliance, Monday 11 October, from 10.15am.
- Redlands Hit Up for Seniors Social Tennis: Redland Bay Tennis Club, Redland Bay, Thursday 14 October
- Aged Care Expo: Coochiemudlo Island Men’s Shed Inc with assistance from Redland District Committee on the Ageing, Friday 15 October, 9am to noon.
- Inter-island seniors soccer fun match: Bay Islands United Football Club, Sunday 17 October, 10am, Russell Island sports field.
- Seniors Celebration: Belgravia Foundation Pty Ltd, Wednesday 20 October to Friday 22 October, Cleveland Aquatic Centre.
- U3A Come & Try Day: U3A Redlands District Inc, Wednesday 20 October, 9.30am to 2pm.
- Senior Tech Expo: STAR Community Services, Thursday 21 October, 9am to noon.
- Quandamooka Elders lunch: Goompi Give and Grow Ltd, date to be decided.
- Redlands Coast Inspiring Seniors morning tea and awards 2021: Blue Care, Tuesday 16 November
For further details on the events, please contact the individual community groups.