Redland City Council has organised special Australia Day 2024 parking arrangements to help residents and visitors to Redlands Coast enjoy this Friday’s public holiday.
Overflow parking areas for people heading to the popular Wellington Point bayside park will be available on Friday at the Wellington Point Community Hall car park on Wood Lane off Birkdale Road, and the Wellington Point Village Green on Main Road.
A free shuttle bus will operate between these locations and the parkland from 7am to 6pm.
Mayor Karen Williams said overflow parking would also be available from Friday through to Monday at Toondah Harbour, Cleveland, for those travelling to North Stradbroke Island (Minjerribah).
“We want to make it a little easier for everyone to enjoy Redlands Coast’s beautiful coastline, beaches and parklands on the long weekend,” she said.
Cr Williams urged visitors to be considerate of others as the city’s parks will be busy and facilities such as barbecues will be in high demand.
“We also want to maintain Redlands Coast as the naturally wonderful place it is, so it would be helpful if locals and visitors took their waste home with them where possible and not overload rubbish bins,” she said.
“Council will be placing extra bins in Wellington Point Recreation Reserve for Australia Day and officers will be patrolling our larger parks and reserves.”
For ideas on things to do on Australia Day, drop into the Redlands Coast Visitor Information Centre in the Raby Bay Harbour Precinct that will be open as usual from 9am-4pm on Friday, or browse the Visit Redlands Coast website.
What’s open on Australia Day?
- Council offices and customer service centres will be closed on Friday 26 January 2024, returning to regular operating hours on Monday 29 January.
- Normal bin collection services will occur on the public holiday.
- Recycling and Waste Centres at Birkdale and Redland Bay will be open as normal from 7am-4.30pm (must arrive before 4.15pm). Hours also as normal for centres on Coochiemudlo, Karragarra, Lamb, Macleay, Russell and North Stradbroke islands.
- RecycleWorld Redland Bay is closed on the public holiday but will open as normal on Tuesday 30 January. (Normal opening hours for the facility are Tuesdays and Fridays from 10am to 2pm)
- Redland City Council Libraries and after-hours return chutes will be closed on Friday 26 January. Any items due on this day can be returned from 27 January.
- Redland Animal Shelter will be open 9am-12pm on the public holiday.
- Redlands IndigiScapes Centre, Café, Botanic Gardens and Nursery will be closed on the Australia Day public holiday. The walking trails will remain open, except the Fairy Wren trail which is currently closed.
- Redland Performing Arts Centre box office will be closed on the public holiday. For online bookings visit rpac.com.au The centre will be open in the morning for a citizenship ceremony only.
- Redland Art Gallery, Cleveland will be closed Friday and reopen on Sunday from 9am to 2pm. RAG, Capalaba will be closed Friday and reopen Saturday from 9am to 4pm.
- For Council-related out-of-hour emergencies, please phone 3829 8999. Customers can send non-urgent requests via Council’s website.