This week marks NAIDOC Week (5-12 July), a national celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage.
In Redland City the week started with a bang, with the launch of the inaugural Quandamooka Festival last Saturday 4 July. The festival is a three-month program of events celebrating the culture, country and people of the Quandamooka (Moreton Bay) region.
With more than 60 activities from July to September, the program includes art, cultural workshops and showcases, conversation, environmental discovery, sport and recreation.
• 25 July – Yura Djalungbilla! Welcome the whales at Point Lookout
• 1-9 August – the 4 Islands Sail & Sculpture Festival
• 8 August – Pacific Tides Festival
• 25 September – the Quandamooka Quiz and Comedy Night, hosted by Australia’s deadliest Indigenous comic Sean Choolburra
• 26-27 September – Kunjiel (corroboree) and closing ceremony, featuring Archie Roach
Council is proud to be the major sponsor of the event.